January 2, 2012

Freebie!!

Hi all y'all sweet blogger friends!!  I have to say that I am a bit sad...we go go back to work tomorrow :( !! Although, I do have to admit that I am a bit excited to see my 24 precious smiling faces in the morning!  Do you ever wonder where they get all that energy that they come bounding in the doorway with first thing in the morning...wow wee!!


So before I get started on all of the tasks that I neglected to do over break {oops!!} like getting ahead on lesson plans, creating more units that are common core aligned and completing those daunting report cards, I have a little freebie that I wanted to post.  I used this with my Gingerbread Unit but it can easily be used with any unit you are teaching.  Our standard for the week was to differentiate between information given by photographs and information given by pictures.  I designed this little flip book so that the students could see the difference between information they learn when they take a picture walk and information they learn when reading the text.  My hopes were that the students would learn that both pictures and text can give you different tid bits of the story that when paired together you are able to learn the most from!!

The first and second page have to be printed front to back with the second page rotated in the opposite direction of the first page.  Once this is done, you will fold the page in half so that the pictures graphic organizer is on top and when you open the flip book you will find the text graphic organizer.  Using scissors, cut along the dotted lines of the top page of the flip book so that you can lift the flaps to reveal what is written underneath.  I then took the header {which I made to accompany the story "The Mitten" by Jan Brett...her illustrations are perfect for this activity!}and glued it to the top of a piece of construction paper.  The flip book will go at the bottom of the construction paper.

Whole Group:  To complete the activity, take a picture walk of three different pages in the story (I pre-pick these ahead of time) and write down information you learned from just looking at the pictures.  Next, open your flip book and, using the same three pages as before, read the text and write down the new information you learned.  You will want to pick three pages in which the illustrations tell you something different than the text so that you are able to show the students how the picutures and text work together to tell you the entire story.  Click here to get this activity!

I know this is kinda tricky to explain so if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask!!


I am also attaching binder covers for you to use for your reading units!  I don't know how your county is tackling these new standards but we have begun creating units district wide.  To keep myself organized, I have created binders for each unit with weekly dividers.  So far it is working beautifully and is keeping me super organized {I am slightly extremely OCD about organization...it is a disease to say the least!!}.  Click here to get all 6 covers.


Whew!!  I think thats it for today!  I hope you all have a great last day of break and to those who have already returned to work...I hope it goes smoothly and disaster free!!!  Toodles!!

P.S.  All graphics and fonts were supplied by the same sources used for my "Silly Dilly Caterpilly" unit!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u.


    Picture Flipbook

    ReplyDelete