February 25, 2012

A Little of This...A Little of That!

I have to say that I had one of the best birthdays with my sweet lil' class this year!  I walked into my room{after being out for several days for my surgery and yucky stomach bug} and my lil' darlin's began singing Happy Birthday to me!  About a half hour later, my principal came in during my reading block to deliver these beautiful flowers that were sent to the school!  I was almost in tears when I read the card..."To: Mrs. Browning...From:  Your First Grade Friends in Room 104"!  I was blown away to say the least...I couldn't believe that my class had sent me flowers!!  It totally made my day!  {How cute is the picture of the "B" made out of crayons?!  I received that from one of my darlin's for Christmas...by far one of the best gifts ever!!} 
As if the flowers weren't enough, my super sweet and sneaky parents left this little treat for us while we were out on the playground!  Each student had a cupcake and I was left the ginormous {a super yummy}cupcake in my favorite colors...purple and green!  I seriously was blown away!!  I have to say that my parents and kiddos are the best a teacher could ask for...I truly am blessed!!!

One of my precious students also made me the most adorable jewelry box for my birthday...I'm talking completely built it from wood and decorated it {with the help of mom and dad}!  It is beyond cute!!  I will post pics this week of it.  The best part was his reasoning for making it.  He said that he overheard me talking to another teacher about how I needed to buy myself a jewelry box because I didn't have one so he wanted to make me one.  Oh my word...could it get any better than this?!!!

On another note...TPT is having an awesome sale on Wednesday..."Leap into TPT" in honor of it being a leap year!  I know that there will be a bajillion shops offering great sales!  The best part is that TPT will be offering an additional 10% off of each stores sale prices..just enter the code L2P9Y at checkout!  I love these sales and I know that I will be stocking up on several items I have had on my wish list.  Click on the link below to head over to my shop and enjoy 30% off of all of my products!!  The sale will begin and end on Wednesday.  I will have 2 new units to include in this sale {a Student Teacher Survival Guide and my Persuasive Writing unit}...I hope you enjoy!!

I am so excited to say that I have a student teacher beginning on Monday!!  I can't wait!  If you have any tips for helping me with this awesome experience, I would love to hear them!  Have a great weekend sweet friends! 

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a great one!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Happy Birthday!!! :)

    I love having student teachers. I put together a little binder for her where she can keep ideas from her time with me! I also give her a "day off" at the end to just copy my files!
    On her first day, I make a little spot in the classroom that is just hers. It's usually a desk that I decorate with teacher stuff. I make sure she has her own space! :)

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy birthday, Rebecca! What an amazing day you had :)

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... since I am a student teacher I can tell you that we are so very eager to please:) This can also create an awkward learning environment.
    So, these are my suggestions.
    My cooperating teacher really has gone out of her way to give me great feedback and just made me feel like I belong. That made such a difference. At lunch time, she introduced me to the other teachers and made sure I was comfortable. She treated me like a girlfriend in social situations and a colleague in teaching situations. She asks my opinion on things, talks about the kids like they are really "our" students and right from the get go made sure to incorporate me in newsletters, staff meetings etc. She introduces me to everyone she can because with the economy the way it is, it is really all about relationships!
    Finally, and I'll just mention this because it made a big difference to me, we discussed our expectations for one another right away. She shared her concerns and I did this as well. We actually have a set day each week that we meet for coffee after work. We have a cup of java,discuss students and lesson plan outside of school. I look up to her completely. I have quite a few friends who are having some really horrible experiences with their cooperating teachers and I really think it comes down to communication. We forced ourselves to just get comfortable so quickly that we have been successful!
    Good luck and let me know if you need help!

    Miss S
    Just Teaching...Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh silly me, happy bithday my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday and thanks for the heads-up about the TpT sale! I'll have to remember to go and empty my cart again! :)
    Jenn
    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much friends! Y'all are just too darn sweet!!

    ReplyDelete