April 11, 2012

Around the World in a Glass Slipper!

Can you believe that we only have 27 more days of school until sweet summer {I'm not counting or anything...ok, yes I am!!}!!  I am a bajillin kinds of excited about sleeping in {until at least 8...gee wiz I am getting old!}, reading, going to the pool and just being plain ol' lazy...and preparing to open a BRAND NEW SCHOOL!!

So my little darlin's and I are preparing to take a trip around the world with Cinderella!  We adopted the new Common Core Standards this year as well as the units that accompany them.  We are following the standards and teaching them using the suggested themes.  I have to be honest, I haven't been too keen on the "themes" for these units {but I am learning to like them!} but I am in LOVE with this last unit...Around the World in a Glass Slipper!  To begin our trip, I have made each of my lil' ones a plane ticket to board our "Glass Slipper" airlines as well as a scrapbook to jot down everything they learn along the way.  Inside the scrapbook you will find a page for a country accompanied by a page for the Cinderella Story from that country.  On the country page the students will write down facts about that country.  For the Cinderella page, students will write down the five elements of Cinderella for that particular story.  Click below for your copy!!
 
Take a peek at what is included!


I cut 1/4 binding combs in half to assemble these into books that will hopefully stay in tact for the next 5 1/2 weeks...fingers crossed!  
 I am off to relax and enjoy a quiet night at home!  Night sweet friends!!

15 comments:

  1. I have a comment about the common core. This was one thing that was super confusing for our district/school/grade. We thought those "themes" were the common core. Our district even directed us to teach those "themes." We were way confused because those themes had nothing to do with the Utah science and social studies core and we couldn't imagine having to ALL of it (themes with "common core"). Low and behold we found out those "themes" aren't the Common Core. I will say it again NOT the common core. The common core is the reading, writing and language standards that the states are teaching. The "themes" are just what one district put together in like Virginia or somewhere to help THEM teach the standards. Those "themes" are not what the states are teaching. You need to find the actual common core. The whole point is to make sure students around the nation are being taught the same reading, writing, language standards at the same time. I would look in to that and direct someone at your school that the awesome cinderella unit is not in the common core. I hope someone will "ditto" me. I really don't want to sound mean I am just very concerned that you are going to all this work when it is not the right thing. If you are teaching the reading, writing, language standards along with Cinderella great. I just don't want you to be stuck in those "themes"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Sorry...I didn't mean to say that the common core and the themes were one in the same. I realize that they aren't but our district is having us follow them while teaching the common core standards. I am so sorry...I totally wrote that wrong and will change it in my post above. I completely agree with you...themes are not the same as the common core. We have just chosen to teach the standards with these themes in mind. Thanks so much for making me aware of my mistake in my post...its been a long day!! I just have to keep telling myself that summer is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I love your Cinderella scrapbook! Thanks for sharing! Just to let you know, that my school district has also adopted the Common Core Curriculum Maps that you are talking about. We are required to use these maps as our guiding curriculum. I have not been extremely trilled with them either...but I am learning to enjoy them a little more. I do love this one though!
      Thanks for sharing!!!
      Kristie in Arkansas

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this!! :) My quick question...I noticed that you put "Special Words" on the bottom of each story page. Are those words from the story? Or something more specific? Words from those languages?

    Just curious...thanks! :)
    Amanda from Sweeties in Second
    http://sweetiesinsecond.blogspot.com
    amanda.c.archer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!! I am going to use it to write how the story begins because several of them begin similar with a little twist so that the kiddo's can see how fairy tales begin. Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry! I tend to ramble on about that I just feel soooo bad for people who don't know the difference. I'm glad you do!!! Good luck with those darn themes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! I am finishing up fairy tales and this week we're doing Cinderella. Perfect timing! I love the Cinderella books from around the world. Your booklet is so wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a great idea for Cinderella!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omgosh! I TOTALLY do soemthing like this and was going to revamp it now that I have my clip art addiction..lol..but this is great! THANK YOU!!
    ♥ Jen
    The Teacher's Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it. Thanks for creating this product. I need this for my Cinderella unit.

    ReplyDelete