November 7, 2012

A Big 'Ol Update and a Few {Freebies}!

Holy cow!!  Has it really been almost a month since I have blogged last?!  Please--Please--Please forgive me...I promise I had a good reason!!  Where to start?!  Well, the hubby not only won districts with his soccer team but he went on to win Regionals and then they made it all the way to the State Semi-Finals!!  Wow--wee...I was one proud little wife!!!  Between traveling out of town for his games, Parent-Teacher conferences, SBDM training, PBIS training and everything else in between, this little gal was lucky to find time to sleep!!  But rest assured--I'm back and ready to blog my heart out!!  I have a ton to catch y'all up on so it may take a couple posts to get it all in!!

First up...a freebie because y'all have been so dang patient with my absenteeism!! 
 I use this to assess my students on their long and short vowel sounds.  Each kiddo has one in their "tool kits" to use during word work.  I simply call out a word {either a short or long vowel word...depending on what we are working on} and they move their clip to the correct sound. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!!

I don't know what it is about these but my sweeties love to do it!!  All you need to do is print the following document, laminate and cut out.  Use a clothes pin {which I just had to cutesy up with a glitter pom-pom} and you are set!  I have included a strip to use with short and long vowels as well as a strip for /wh/, /th/. /ch/ and /sh/.  Enjoy friends!!


For Halloween this year we had the BEST time!  During the morning we visited the farm and learned all about farm life as well as grabbed ourselves our very own "pie pumpkin" from the pumpkin patch!  I had no idea that these cute little pumpkins had their very own name!!
That afternoon we completed our pumpkin study from my unit "Carvin' Out Fun" {...which I promise to post in my TPT shop...very soon!  I know...I am a bit late!  Don't you worry though...it will be on sale so you can snatch it up and stash it away for next year!!}
 Who would have guessed that Pie Pumpkins would have so many seeds in them!?  They were the perfect size for my lil' darlin's!  {I used one for most of the study with the whole class but each table had their own for counting the seeds.}

Check out a few pics from our day of fun!  We made predictions, collected data {weight, circumference, float/sink, number of seeds, etc!} and analyzed our data!!



We used these fun little mats to help us count our seeds!
I read these two books to the kiddos during our two day study.  "The Littlest Pumpkin" was perfect considering the size of our pumpkins!!

 Last...I took the seeds home and baked them.  We tasted two different kinds--sweet {cinnamon, sugar and butter} and salty--and then graphed our results!  Yummy!!

This unit also includes a "how-to" writing activity for carving pumpkins plus so much more!! 

I know, I know...I need to wrap up this post before I lose y'all!!  I am finishing up the last touches on my other unit too--"My Teacher Planner"--as we speak!  I think I have a bit of ADD right now trying to work on two different projects at once.  I am sorry that I didn't have it uploaded last week like I had promised several of you!  IT WILL BE POSTED THIS WEEKEND...no ifs, ands or buts!!


Because y'all are so sweet and read to the very end of this LONG post {I hope!}, snatch up another freebie by clicking the pic below!  I use these forms for my spelling test and love their simplicity!  The bonus words that I use are words with the same spelling pattern but new words to check and see if my darlins' understand the spelling pattern or if they just memorized their spelling words!

{I saved these documents separately so you will have to click here to grab the actual spelling test form and cilck the pic above for the pre-test form--sorry for being complicated y'all!}

Don't forget to stop back by this weekend for a tour of my classroom!!  Thanks for stickin' with me sweet friends...y'all are the best!!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for the vowel freebie (and idea)!! This will be perfect with some of my groups this year!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your vowel idea on Pinterest...soooo happy to be your newest follower!
    Growing Firsties is having a Pete the Cat Giveaway soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the freebies - that vowel idea is going to work well with my kiddos. I also love your Spelling pretest and actual test paper, but was wondering if I could alter the pretest for 6 words (That 's how we do it at my school).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,
    Your VOWEL CLIP is a MUST-Have for all first grade classrooms! AWESOME idea! Thank you so very much for sharing it with us!
    Your pumpkin activities were similar to mine and BOY did the kids have fun!
    I am looking forward to following you and seeing more about your teacher planner! Have a great week!
    Julie

    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grabbed your freebie! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Sandra
    Sweet Times in First
    sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your vowel freebie! It is perfect for some of my second graders. And exactly what we are working on this week. Thanks for the freebie!
    Jessica

    Apples and Papers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Just found your blog through Farley's Currently... I love love LOVE your vowel activity! I will definitely be trying this with my little first graders!!!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Mr. First Grade

    ReplyDelete