December 1, 2012

The Men in My Life & a {Writing} Freebie!

Hi there sweet friends!! 
Check out the handsome "men" that I have gotten to spend my weekend with so far!!
Boy am I one lucky girl to wake up next to this handsome face every morning!!
How precious is he?!!  Our sweet friends welcomed him into the world a week ago tomorrow!!  What a blessing he already is!!

I have to admit...I am so excited about the next two weeks but they are going to be jam packed to say the least! Trying to fit in Gingerbread week, Grinch day and Polar Express day all in two weeks is going to be a bit of a struggle but I am confident I can pull it off....right?!  Did I mention that our brand new little school is busting at the seams and we are in the process of hiring a new first grade teacher to help with the overage...before Christmas break!!!?  We spent 5 long hours after school last Wednesday interviewing and we still have more to go!  Holy moly!!

Now...on to the freebie!  Our school has taken on the 6 traits program for writing and we have attended a bazillion webinars by Smekens.  They are absolutely fabulous!! If you are using the 6 traits program in your classroom, you have to check out this resource book.  It is absolutely amazing and gives step by step plans for implenting the 6 traits in your classroom.  It seriously has been a life saver this year!!  After lots of note-taking at the webinars, I created this writing journal to use in my classroom as I implemented each of the traits.
 Smekens suggests having students first work on creating pictures for each idea trait making sure to add oodles of details!  Once students have mastered this technique, they suggest moving on to labeling the same pictures that they had previously created.  Last, they suggest using the same pictures with the labels and adding words.  All the while, there are mini-lessons to incorporate to teach students the 6 traits of writing.  The book I tagged above also has lessons for each of the stages of drawing, labeling and writing.  I'm not sure if any of this makes sense or not so PLEASE let me know if I need to clarify more!!  I created this journal that can be used for this process of writing.  At the bottom of each page, I date when my students create their picture, label and write about the picture.  Clear as mud right?!

Click here to snag yourself a copy of this journal! 
{This is a black and white copy...I have my darlin's using their fabulous coloring skills to decorate the cover!  If you would rather have the color version, just give me a shout!!}

Mr. Husband is on his way home from his men's league {doesn't that sound so grown up?!} game with dinner...yummy!!  Spending the night with him watching Hallmark Christmas movies sounds absolutely perfect right about now!!  Have a fantastic night sweet friends!!

{I HOPE to be back soon with lots of pics from all the fun we will be having over the next week!}

6 comments:

  1. You're in Boone County, right? Boone County schools have been bursting at the seams for years! :-) I can't believe you guys have to hire another first grade teacher. That's crazy. How many do you have currently?

    We have 3 weeks left before Christmas Break (1 day shy of 3 weeks, really), so I get to do Polar Express, Gingerbread, and the Grinch- plus we go to see the Nutcracker next Friday so I have to find a way to introduce that too!

    Have a wonderful 2 weeks before break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the freebie! Thanks for sharing. The baby is too cute! ;)
    If you have time stop by my blog and enter my giveaway! Thanks so much!
    Brigid

    Brigid's Daily Lesson Log

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog!! It's too cute!! And thank you for the freebie!

    We're your newest followers,and we're having a giveaway...you should come check it out!

    Happy New Year!

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete