January 20, 2013

Monster Squeeze!!

Can I just tell y'all that I have been absolutely lazy and useless this entire weekend and I have loved every minute of it!!!  I honestly have done nothing school, blog or TPT related until right now!  I must agree with my sweet friend Amanda and say that after recent events, so much has been put into perspective as far as family and friends go.  Spending time with them and enjoying every minute I have with them is what matters most!!  Speaking of family...my oober sweet sister-n-law (my hubby's sister) got engaged this past week!!  I am over the moon excited for her and can't wait to get some weeding planning started!!!  And to top off this weekend, we opened the local paper this morning to find out that Mr. Hubby received co-coach of the year!!!  Friends...he is simply an amazing coach and I could not be more proud of him!!

This post is going to be short and sweet as I am going to take my own advice and spend one last evening with my love before the hustle and bustle of the week begins!

Monster Squeeze...
 (I may or may not have posted about this a while back!)

My little darlin's absolutely love this game!  They beg me everyday to play it and it is perfect for teaching greater than and less than.  This is a game that is in our Everyday Math program which can be played whole group or with partners.  We usually play it at the end of the day or whenever we have a few extra minutes to spare!  One student is chosen as a leader who thinks of a mystery number.  Two students are chosen to be the "monster movers" using the class number line.  
The leader will begin by saying something similar to "I am thinking of a number between 60 and 80.  What's my number?"  One child will cover the number 60 with their monster while the other child covers the number 80.  The remainder of the class begins making guesses as to what the mystery number could be.  After a student guesses, the leader will tell them whether the number is less than or greater than their guess and the monster movers must more there monsters to squeeze accordingly until the mystery number has been "squeezed" between the two monsters.  

Clear as mud?!

Click the pic below to grab a copy of the monsters!!

How do you teach your kiddo's greater than/less than?!

9 comments:

  1. Too cute! I see you use the Phonics Dance too! I LOVE the Phonics Dance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun game!! I use a greater/less than gator! :)
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! Thanks for sharing!
    Chelsea
    bloomingintofirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea! :) It makes me wish I taught first grade... and/or math. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love to play this type of game. Now I'm going to have to see about getting a numberline that is easier for them to reach. :) We have bus rooms at the end of the day with K and 1st. They love playing what they call "number talks" which is squeeze. They have me write 0 to 20 on the chartpaper or chalkboard and do the same thing with greater than/less than. The person that thinks of teh number draws a dot or x or other symbols under the number guessed and tells greater than or less than. Squeeze is great to reinforce this skill and deductive reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog and I could not be more excited!

    We play this game as well. However, I used those boring copies of monsters from the curriculum that are SO not cute or picture worthy! I'm a bit ashamed! Yours are so cute! Thanks for the freebie!


    The Frizz

    The Frizz in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! These are perfect for the Number Squeeze game we play. I love them.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete